About Me | Kat Francisco

Hello Colleagues, 

My name is Kat Francisco, and I have worked at the University of Arizona for nearly 15 years. I'm from the Bay Area, California but now call Sahuarita, Arizona home with my husband, two boys, and cat. My kids play baseball and piano, so when I'm not at tournaments, games, and recitals... well that's pretty much where I am at, so I really appreciate the days when nothing is on the calendar. I do make time for classes, faculty/staff intramural softball, and I crochet. If you happen to be on campus and see a crocheted cactus, it's probably one that I made.🌵

My job at the university is nontechnical in theory, but as we quickly learned from this class, one needs data to process, interpret, and make informed decisions--for any job, really. In my position, it's more about using information as evidence, like proof that our instructors have the proper qualifications to teach and that those instructors continue to be productive. Another example is to have compelling evidence that the programs offered at UArizona actually produce positive student outcomes. Data for these may come from social media outlets, patents, scholarly work, conferences, peer institutions, etc. 

While I take MIS classes for intrinsic purposes, each one has contributed in some way to enhancing my skills at work. For this class specifically, I hope to get a better handle on Academic Analytics--learning more about actionable data. What we learned from our last accreditation review was that we lack knowledge of alumni. While some colleges and departments keep track of this by distributing exit surveys or searching for graduates on LinkedIn, institutionally, we don't have a systematic process. [And soon, the government will require that we do.] 

With that, I'm excited for the next eight weeks, and I'm looking forward to learning more about everyone and their selections on related articles.  

See you online!

Kat Francisco

>^..^<

Comments

  1. Hi Kat,
    that is so cool! I love the fact that you are taking this class although you don't work in a technical field. That's one thing that I love about graduate school, I get to know and work with professionals all far and near from technical and non-technical work backgrounds.
    Check out this cool article I found about the unusual uses of big data, I think you'll really enjoy this read.
    https://datafloq.com/read/7-unusual-uses-of-big-data/
    Let me know which one surprised you the most... for me, it was the optimization of energy usage. I am very passionate about the environment and its conservation, and the difference that smart tools like smart water and electric meters can and have made are really amazing to me.
    Looking forward to being your classmate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kat! It's always fantastic to see a fellow UArizona employee in a class! I too have found that my classes have assisted in my everyday work, and I'm very excited to see what this class has in store of us to learn and implement! GO CATS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're liking the Bay. I still have my 408 cell number and refuse to be 520. We lived near Great America and the 49ers practice facility. I do miss it, but most of my family moved out of state, except my sister. She's in Alameda. Good luck in class!

      Delete
  4. Hello Kat, welcome to MIS 587! it is a pleasure to have you in the class. I went to California in the summer to LA for the fist time, and let me tell you, it was really hot out there lol. Next time I go, I will have to visit the bay area for sure. Honestly, the crocheted cactus around campus comment was really funny, I would love to see that someday 🌵. Good luck in the class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kat, welcome to the class! I'm coming from a technical background and my wife teaches in university, so I can relate a lot! I'm sort of like you, I want to learn from this class to enhance my skills and want to turn some of the data I come across into actionable information for my stakeholders. I can wait to see what we get out of this class!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 4 | Week 6 | Social Media Analytics and Network Analysis